Introduction of Skillion Roof
The roof is one of the most important parts of our structure which not only protects the structure from aggressive environmental conditions but it also enhances the aesthetical beauty of the structure.
There are various shapes of roofs that you can choose for the construction of your home. The Skillion Roof is one of the unique types of the roofing option which you can choose for the construction of your new house.
What Is Skillion Roof?
A Skillion is defined as a type of roof that consists of one isolated unvarying surface. The skillion roof is also known as Mono pitched roof. The main difference between Skillion roofs and other Flat roofs is that the skillion roofs have steepness and pitch which makes them different from the other types of roofs.
The skillion roofs have a massive exterior on their top and it also has a powerful component in the diagram.
Types of Skillion Roof
There are various types of Skillion roofs which are categorized according to their shape and design of the roof are as follows
1. Butterfly Roof:
The Butterfly is a type of Skillion roof that is categorized by an inversion of a standard roof form. The butterfly roof is also known as a ‘V’ roof because it forms a shape like V and looks like butterfly wings that’s why it is known as the Butterfly roof.
2. Oval Roof:
An oval shape roof has a smooth cure shape which enhances the beauty of the structure. The oval shape roofs are best suitable for the construction of the larger indoor spaces. The Oval roofs are not generally used in residential buildings.
3. Multiple Skillion Roof:
It is a new innovative way to construct a building that looks very beautiful and improves the aesthetical beauty of the structure.
4. Split Skillion Roof:
The split skillion roofs are the combination of the traditional glazed roofing and skillion roofing.
Uses of Skillion Roof
The Skillion roofs have various uses which are as follows
- The skillion roof is widely used for the effective drainage of water and the collected water can be used for rainwater harvesting.
- They can be also used for the installation of solar panels on their surface.
- The skillion roofs can be also used for extension purposes.
- The isolated slope of the skillion roof required fewer components.
How to Build a Skillion Roof?
The step by step procedure of the construction of the Skillion roofs are as follows
- The Skillion roofs are stand-alone roofs that are why they do not require any type of connection to any part of the roof.
- The construction process of the skillion roofs is very easy and fast as compared to the other conventional types of roofs.
- The Skillion roofs consist of various components such as metal, asphalt, and wood shingles.
- During the construction of the skillion roofs, the pitch and leveling of the roofs play a very important role. The direction and the wind loads should also be considered while building the skillion slope.
- The rafters are used to transfer the load of the skillion roofs to the walls so that the load can be uniform gets distributed.
- The Beam can also be constructed as a replacement of rafters to provide extra support to the skillion roofs.
- The wooden or concrete beam can be used as a support to the skillion roof so that it should remain strong and stable.
- The metal sheets can be used as a finishing material which will help to protect the roof from aggressive environmental conditions. The portal frames are also added to the design of the skillion roofs.
What Are the Benefits of the Skillion Roof?
There are various benefits of constructing a Skillion roof for your new house.
1. Skillion Roofs Provide Good Drainage of Water and Avoid Water Accumulation
It is very important that the roof should properly drain off all the rainwater otherwise there may be chances of leakage. The common problems which are seen in the flat roofs are an accumulation of water which causes the leakage of roof.
The Skillion roofs are constructed with a pitch that effectively drains off the water from the surface of the roof. If you are using asphalt shingles as the material in the construction of Skillion roofs then the minimum pitch of 1:6 should be provided.
2. Skillion Roofs Can Be Used for the Installation of the Solar Panels
The Skillion roofs are best suitable for the installation of solar panels. The skillion roofs have a pitch which is the best for the solar panel’s installation.
It can be also used for eco-friendly installations such as skylight panels with transparent glass. It will allow the sunlight to enter the home.
3. Provides Modern and Stylish Design to the Structure
The Skillion roofs are widely used for their Modern and stylish design. It enhances the exterior look of the structure. The skillion roofs are eye-capturing structures that look very beautiful.
4. Skillion Roofs Are Easy to Construct
The construction of a skillion roof is very easy and requires very little cost. The skillion roofs are very easy for installation and fast to install.
Is It Cheaper To Build a Skillion Roof or a Flat Roof?
The selection of the best type of roof for your house mainly depends upon various factors such as climatic conditions, durability, and the cost of construction.
Flat roof construction can be a little bit economical as compared to the skillion roofs. But there is one major disadvantage of the Flat roof construction is the lack of drainage of the water which may lead to leakage problems and reduces the durability of the concrete.
If you are looking for the durability and beauty of the structure then the skillion roofs will be the best choice.
Advantages of Skillion Roof
There are various advantages of Skillion roofs which are as follows.
- The Skillion roofs provide an opportunity to install solar panels and skylight panels so that the sunlight can pass through them.
- Skillion roofs are more durable as compared to the conventional types of roofs.
- Skillion roofs have a steep slope which allows the effective drainage of water through the roof.
- Skillion roofs can be also used for expansion purposes.
- The skillion roofs can be designed as per the requirement of the structure.
- The skillion roofs have longer life spans and they are very economical in construction.
Disadvantages of Skillion Roof
The Skillion roofs also have some disadvantages which are as follows
- The angles of the skillion roofs are more tighter which provides very less attic space.
- Skillion roofs are sensitive to the high winds
- The skillion roof provides low ceiling height as compared to the other types of roofs.
Skillion Roof Ventilation
You may think that the ventilation in the skillion roofs is a little bit difficult because there is a tight formation and narrow framing cavities which restrict the movement of air.
But in fact, the study has proved that the skillion roofs are completely ventilated and do not face any kind of difficulty in the ventilation. So, there is not any such problem occurs in the skillion roof ventilation.
Prevent Moisture Entry from Spaces Below
After the construction of the skillion roof, there may be chances of entry of moisture into the roof framing cavities.
In a fully occupied building, the inner air is warmer and contains moisture as compared to the air outside. The moisture can be transported by any means such as airflows through the gaps or cracks, penetrations, and open skillion cavities.
Conclusion of Skillion Roof
The Skillion roofs have various advantages as compared to the traditional flat roofs if we considered it by durability and look wise. We recommend rather than going to the traditional flat roof, go for the modern Skillion roofs which will also enhance the beauty of your house.